Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Snipping, DIY style

I looked into the mirror and saw that my fringe was almost covering my eyes. Hmmm, time to make myself look a little less wild. My hair seems to possess a life of its own whenever I cross the two-and-a-half-month mark after my last haircut. It’s ever so diligent in making sure that it heads everywhere but down south. Almost contemptuous and willful in its attempts to make sure that I know it’s time to pay my hairstylist another visit. But I don’t think I’ll have the time to do it this week, so it’ll just do a DIY snip, like I always do for my fringe.

I started looking for that pair of scissors that seemed to be able to perform just the trick. It’s a pair of scissors with jagged edges, the same ilk that can be seen across the hairstylist’s fingers when he wants to shear your voluminous hair down from a size 12 to a size 4. I’ve not tried using it yet because it only appeared mysteriously in my parents’ room one fine day in the very recent past. When I took it today, I finally got to know who bought it. My dad. And when he knew that I was trying to cut my hair, he took out his ‘lil invention – a comb with a razor taped carelessly to it – and offered it to me. Hmmm, maybe he’s considering becoming a part-time barber after he retires. Ha.

Okay, so I looked carefully into the mirror and started the DIY. A snip here. A cut there. Hey, that pair of scissors helped me managed a pretty decent cut for my fringe. That emboldened me to leap and jump: I started cutting areas other than my fringe.

Just then, my second sis came home. When she saw me cutting my hair, the whole lot of it, she commented: “You’re either a cheapskate or you’re talented.” It was not the first time I did such a thing. The last time I attempted such a massive amount, I actually cut the back too, with occasional checks with a mirror. It turned out okay then.

Now, it’s time for combarazor to strut its stuff. A nifty lil’ tool that helped me shed and shape my hair. Not bad at all. Oh and to my sister’s comment, I was neither a cheapskate nor a talent. It just happened that after I cut my fringe, the rest of my hair looked way too untidy. I couldn’t resist the temptation in trying to make it look neater. I decided to go for the asymmetric look because I still liked the shape for my right side. So I just cut the left. Then my dad came in to check on my progress and started offering his help. So using his dear combarazor, he helped me trim the back.

One hour later, I was done. One huge pile of hair in the dustbin. My head was a ton lighter. It was nothing near a perfect cut. In fact, I’m pretty worried what my hairstylist would say when she sees my hair the next time. But I did have a lot of fun cutting my hair, trying to shape and mould it, the way I like it. Try it!! =)

6 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey care to send me a picture of your new hairstyle?

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Yollev said...

"I actually cut the back too, with occasional checks with a mirror."

I really wan to say:

Pei fu Pei fu...

Haha..

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger bionic said...

hahaha...i'm reading wif trepidation...hahhaa..yeah really pei fu u!!!

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger whysohappy said...

To j: are you who i think u are? Identify yourself or send me an sms leh...keke..

Yollev n bionicgirl: eh actually it's not that bad lah. Really! And not that difficult when my hair is so messy to begin with. Not very difficult to make it look better!! keke..

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Slacker said...

wa... talented siah.. maybe can consider hairdressing when you are bored and damn sick of teaching...
ahahha

 
At 1:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gals..lets drop the idea of collecting rubbish in school keow as the driver, yollev and whysohappy standing behind the truck ..or who is at which post..i forget liao..set up hairdressing la..u can be the main dresser..like David Gan wow! i sweeep floor la...yollev can be the cashier..keow can be the hair dyer la..teng wash hair la...and that queen...haha..she just sit there be model can liao (tats what taitai do)..hihi--trashbin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home